TCEPT is a unique training opportunity for practitioners of all levels in NHS, Criminal Justice Systems, Education & Care sectors. It has been developed by leaders in the field of enabling and therapeutic environments. This training is flexible and can be completed in 1-3 years.The course provides a practitioner level qualification to those working in therapeutic environments, including therapeutic communities, enabling environments (EEs), psychologically informed planned environments (PIPEs), psychologically informed environments (PIEs), inpatient wards, and day services.
The course structure is made up of guided reading, monthly supervision and 3 residential workshops. The workshops take place at our stunning MB3 site in Toddington, Gloucestershire.
The requirements for this course are; a suitable work placement, workplace based project, and four visits to other enabling environments or therapeutic communities.
- By the end of module 1 you will have:
- An in depth knowledge of the history of TCs and therapeutic milieus
- An understanding of these environments and how they work
- An understanding of the concept of belongingness
- An understanding of group analytic ideas and their impact on TC and EE work
- An understanding of the role of responsible agency in TC and EE work
- An understanding of democracy and its role in TCs and EEs
- By the end of module 2 you will have:
- Developed capacity to assist your workplace to be more compassionate and ‘enabling’
- Confidence in using relationships effectively in clinical practice, including the therapeutic management of risk
- Developed the ability to establish and use reflective practice in work settings
- Confidence to use one’s own and others’ emotional reactions as a valid part of working practice
- An understanding of unequal power dynamics, and how they are used and misused in organisational settings
- An understanding of how emotional and physical safety is best established and maintained through therapeutic relationships
- Knowledge of one’s own patterns of behaviour in the formation of working and personal relationships
- An understanding of and the ability critically evaluate the nature and impact of intensive group processes
- The ability to describe the impact of one’s self on another, and vice-versa
- The ability to make links between objective and subjective understanding of relationships
- The ability to apply this knowledge in understanding one’s own emotional development
- By the end of module 3 you will have
- Developed essential assessment skills
- Developed an overview of the impact of the biomedical model on therapeutic environments
- An understanding of negative factors that can disrupt milieu functioning
- An understanding of the importance of social learning
- An understanding of the different models of psychotherapy used in TCs
- An understanding of the use of research methodology in therapeutic environments and TCs
- An understanding of how TC and EE principles are applied in different contexts.
The fees for this course are £2000. We are currently not taking applications for our next TCEPT Course, if you would like to receive updates when applications re-open then please register your interest.